Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween - Part 2

As I write this I have to keep getting up and going to the door. The doorbell just keeps ringing and ringing. Of course it’s just a little after 7 pm… and it’s Halloween.

The funny thing is while I probably know some of the people who have come to my door tonight – I don’t recognize many of them. I think it has something to do with all of the masks they are wearing. Now, those of you who know me know where I am going with this one…we all like to wear masks…everyday! As I talk with people what I find is that very few are really themselves most of the day. I mean they are themselves…inside, but to the rest of the world they are mostly who they think others want them to be. We wear the “right” clothes. We drive the “right” car…or truck…or SUV. We live in the “right” neighborhood. We hang out with the “right” people. But for all we are doing to be “right” could we have it all wrong?

I’ve been working on some writing about TRANSPARENCY, and while this has a ways to go, the basic thought is – if I don’t have any secrets then there’s not much anyone could say that would hurt me. If people know my hurts and hang-ups then there’s nothing they could say to someone else that I wouldn’t be willing to tell them myself – there’s nothing to hide, so there’s nothing to be afraid of. Well, there’s a lot more to say on this idea, but I’ll let you chew on that one a little – and I’d love to get your comments on that idea.

Happy UNmasking!

No comments: