Friday, January 19, 2007

The Value of Questions

Awhile back I heard Andy Stanley talking about how the questions we ask reveal what we value most. For instance, if I constantly ask my kids, “Is your homework finished?” I’m communicating to them that I value homework. More specifically, I value them completing their homework.

But is that what is most important? Wouldn’t a better question be, “Do you understand what you’re learning?”

Or, if I always ask my wife, “Honey, what’s for dinner?” What does that communicate to her - that I value dinner. Again, more specifically, I value someone else making dinner for me.

Wouldn’t a better question be, “How’s your day been? What can I make you for dinner?”

[Sweetheart, when you read this, I love you, and you probably really don’t want me in the kitchen :-)]

You see the point? (See, what I really value is communicating in a way that you understand my perspective.)

Okay, here’s an even better point – if it’s true that we can see what’s important to a person by listening to the questions they ask – then I think it would be great to take a look at the questions Jesus asked people.

So, at least for a little while (read - unless my ADD kicks in), that will be the focus of most of my future blogs – looking at the questions Jesus asked and learning what He valued most.

Stay tuned…

No comments: