Saturday, November 15, 2008

How do we do this in real life?

Philippians 2:3-4Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

I was putting together my thoughts for some ministry work I’m doing with community leaders. This led me to this verse in Philippians (in relationship to part of the Great Commandment where Jesus tells us to love others).

The context for my notes was Marketplace Ministry – How does God want to use us in the marketplace? You could really expand this from “in the marketplace” to “in our whole life”.

As I pondered this verse, it struck me just how hard this is to really live out. Don’t you want to impress others at work? Isn’t this how we move ahead?

I don’t think this is saying to be a slacker – not at all. God calls us to give our best at work (Eph. 6:7). What I believe it is teaching is that we do not “use” people to get ahead. In fact, we go a step beyond and proactively look for ways to help those around us – we look out for their interests, too. And, we do this with a sense of humility – it’s not ploy, it’s who we really are (or are becoming as we allow God to work in our lives).

How do you see this verse in your life?
How does it challenge you?
What questions does it bring up?

You can reply through the “Comments” below. If you don’t have a Blogger account, just click on the “Anonymous” button at the bottom of the comments section.

/D

2 comments:

Dean B said...

That is when the rubber really meets the road, isn't it Dave? When I keep my nose in the word daily and read scripture like the book of James for instance I become very inspired to be a doer of the word and not just a sayer which seams to be so easy, but we don't seam to reap any real life benifits such as reaping a harevest of righteousness by just being a sayer. The most easiest principle to see work in our life is to give what we want,(James 3:18 Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness) This means to me that I must die to self and choose God's words and comands and have faith that they will work, I believe by the work I have seen! It only takes a second of insanity of my life to prove that my works are not righteous, such as not being polite out on the road to others and cussing them out under my breath or even out loud and going whoa, where did that com from, a chance to surrender imeadiately, repent, ask god grace and mercy and Know it has been done. Thanks so much for your time in this blog Dave and shareing God's work and word, He has blessed everything that has been written here. Another words if I give my all to God it will automatically show up in my work where ever I am, I need not to impress because God works through me and me ego therfore is put to rest and God's light shines, not mine. Amen

Dave said...

Well "said", Dean.