Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virgina Tech Tragedy

As we have watched the events of the last two days unfold on our TV screens, we find ourselves caught between disbelief, anger and the question that always comes in times like these – why?

There are no easy answers, but the God’s Word reminds us that “these three remain faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love.” (1 Corinthians 13)

We gather together to acknowledge death, but more importantly to celebrate life.

None of us know how much time we will have here on earth – and times like these have a way of bringing to the forefront what is most important.

I graduated from VT in 1990. I was Resident Advisor (RA) in the AJ dorm where the first shooting took place. I attended classes in Norris. I often reflect on my days at Tech – and if I could go back and do it all over again I would! But, as with all things, time continues to move forward. We’re not meant to live in the past. I pray that each of us will reflect on how God has uniquely gifted each of us. And that we will take real steps towards becoming the person He desires for us to be – a person of faith, a person of hope and a person of love.

In the coming weeks, life will go on – another news event will dominate the media – our own busy schedules will move us further from this day. But I hope that – in some small or large way – the reminders of the events of this week will help us to refocus on what’s truly most important.

I hope that our communities will learn to love as Christ loves. We live in a broken world filled with broken people. I encounter so many hurting people – I too am a hurting person. We have been designed for relationship and love. While the actions of this young man are deplorable – my heart aches for the life he lived. He’s described as a “loner.” I know many I would describe that way – I myself prefer solitude to crowds - but we’ve been made for relationships.

People need people.

In the creation story there’s an interesting point where God looks at his creation and calls it “good.” He then creates man and calls it “very good.” Here is man – in perfect harmony with creation and the Creator. Then God makes this statement – “It is not good for man to be alone.” (Genesis 2:18)

While creation was “good” and the created man was “very good” – it was NOT good for him to be alone. And God created Eve – to which Adam in the original language said – WOW! I don’t know if Adam said that or not, but that’s what I would have said.

My point is that God recognized, from the beginning of creation, the need for all of us to be in relationship with Him and with each other.

Our society has come to idolize INDEPENDENCE – what we need is INTERDEPENDENCE.

So, may we, as Paul wrote in Hebrews, “look for ways to spur one another on to love and good deeds.” As we move forward – let’s allow God to increase our faith, increase our hope and increase our love.

To all in my VT family and to all who grieve – my prayers are with you.
/
/
D.

No comments: