Friday, November 10, 2006

Doctor Visit

I just returned from my annual medical check-up (yeah, I'm at the age they want to see if I'm still breathing every year).

I got to see my regular doctor. That may not seem like a big deal, but last year I saw a different doctor. They both do a good job of running the right test and doing the proper physical exam, but there's a major difference between the two of them.

My regular doctor remembers my family history, he remembers the things I like to do for exercise. He spent the first 15-20 minutes just sitting and talking with me about how I am feeling. We talked about all the little things that you forget to ask about when you finally get to the doctor (especially if you have the 2-3 minute doctor visit).

Here's the difference between last year's check up and this year's. My regular doctor actually cares about how I am doing - not just the obvious things, but in all the little ways. He takes the time to "dig" a little. Why? Because if he can spot a problem while it's still little, he can keep it from becoming a big problem.

Our relationships are the same way. Do you have 2-3 minute relationships? The type where if something is obviously wrong you'll notice, but otherwise you're pretty clueless to how the other person is doing. Or are you developing the kind of relationships where you "dig" a little to make sure they are really doing well?

I wish I could say my relationships fall into the second category, but they often are more like the 2-3 minute type.

Let's see, we need a name for the deeper (and better) relationships... how about - "loving." That's what Jesus talked about - loving God and loving others. To really do that takes more than 2-3 minutes.

I want to develop more "loving" relationships - how about you?

No comments: