Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Life & Death

Our household is in the midst of a sad time. Our family dog of the last 13+ years has been diagnosed with cancer and the vet has told us she will probably live only another 2-4 weeks. We've decided that if she shows any signs of being in pain we will have to put her to sleep.

It's times like this that the reality of death is apparent to all of us. For me, the most difficult time is watching my wife and girls struggle with the sadness of this situation - knowing I cannot do anything about it.

As difficult as these times are with our pets, it's so much more difficult when it is a loved one. One thing that makes saying goodbye to those we love easier is if we know it's really not "goodbye," but "see you later."

You see the Bible talks about how when we bury loved ones we will be in one of two situations - one is we will truly have to say "goodbye." The other choice is we can know that it's only "see you later." What's the difference? It's where we are with God - and each one of us has to make our own decision.

The Bible says some must grieve the loss of a loved without any hope of seeing them again. Others are able to grieve a little easier - knowing we will see them again.

I sometimes feel a little weird at funerals. When I know the person we are burying had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, it's difficult for me to get too bummed out, because I know I too have that same relationship with God and I will see this person again in a place of no more sickness, pain or death. So, while it's natural to miss someone, it's truly not the end of the world.

Here's what concerns me most, though, for us in America. So many believe they are Christians, but they come to that belief by default (I'm not Jewish or Muslim or Buddhist, etc., so I must be a Christian). Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. The Bible teaches us that we have to accept Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Savior, only THEN do we become a member of God's eternal family.

If you're not sure where you stand with God and you want to talk about this privately, you can e-mail me at dave@relevantcc.com.

As for me and my immediate family, it's comforting for me to know that if I go first - my family can rest assured that they will see me again and vice versa.

Do you have this same hope?

No comments: